What is your full LOVE 2 track by track review/best to worst

Make some 'Talkie Walkie' about Air

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

What is your full LOVE 2 track by track review/best to worst

Postby donato » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Here is a breakdown of my favorite to least favorite songs on 'Love 2' along with commentary. I listened about 15 times...so here it is. I'm sure I'll change my mind on these many times over in the long-run. Please post your list with thoughts here! As I've said before I do love this album...

1. Tropical Disease

I was just positive this would be my favorite when the mashup came out, and I was right. It's very 70's/early 80's sounding in a great way. A friend of mine pointed out that fast part of "Tropical Disease" is not totally unlike a sped-up take on the "Lonely Man Theme" from the TV show 'The Incredible Hulk'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJFHH8BCGjI (this is the song set to some amateur video, you can find it in the context of the show by looking it up on youtube- I included this version as the audio quality is better). "Tropical Disease" is far from a copy, but they offer similar style and feel ("Lonely Man Theme" is a tad more melancholy). There's not a thing more I could ask from this track. I could list every little thing, but you name it, it's got it! Instantly a top 5 AIR song for me, if not higher. I also love it when the song slows down then picks up a bit at the end with the drums and the voice delay. Bass part there is a bit Virgin Suicides...

2. Be A Bee

I'm still amazed that this song for me is #2 after listening to the live version from 1998 so many times. It stays true to its' original live rendition, only more out-front and rocking. If Nigel Goodrich had produced 'LOVE 2', this song would have totally lost its' raw energy. Every little transition builds upon on already great tune with a wonderful outro. It's really something how timeless AIR's tracks are in general...

3. Night Hunter

To be honest I want to have about five songs tied at this #3 position, but I'll go ahead and rank them anyway. "Night Hunter" gets the nod not because it's the best throughout- because it's not. It's more elemental for me on this one. I love the heavy synth useage, the hard clap, the P-Funk feel with AIR's trippyness...but most importantly it's the buildup to the outro which starts at 3:19. However, you really have to listen to the whole song to get the impact. If I were to put it to pictures I would say it's like walking late in the evening, disoriented on hallucinogens. Such a strange and busy city, you find yourself surrounded by ever changing and coinciding emotions. Snapshots of bizarre scenes and adventures from one moment to the next...then when the outro kicks in- you suddenly find yourself in bed with the sunlit morning. You are happy because you are lying next to someone you love more than anyone you had ever loved before...maybe you begin to "Do The Joy" :lol:

4. Do The Joy

Enough has been said about this song. Some like some don't. Some love some hate. For me the psychedelic energy is too strong to ignore...

5. Heaven's Light

For me the harmonica parts really set this song apart and add that extra touch I love. Just a really pretty song...

6. Eat My Beat

Nice uptempo song. Really, really like the bass/guitar/drum/tamborine/synth interaction. If anyone has seen 'Debbie Does Dallas' this song is quite similar to the song used during the shower scene (which is a great tune in its' own right). Not much songwriting to this song really, just sounds really awesome!

7. Missing The Light Of The Day

Nice mixture of dark 80's electro-pop, and from a percussion standpoint a very nice funk overload ;) Quite a departure in many ways from AIR's style, but I always knew they were a fan of the bands that made music more similar to this...so I'm a bit curious as to what took them so long!

8. You Can Tell It To Everybody

The best part of this song is at the 2:28 mark with the synth overlap of the previously heard harmonica part. Really a beautiful song.

9. Love

This would've made a good alternate opening track if they hadn't decided on using "Do The Joy".

10. Sing Sang Sung

It's actually a great song that is ruined by overly effeminate vocals (even by J.B. standards!). If it weren't for the kick-ass video, I could almost picture J.B. wearing a pink diaper trying to lure little boys into his ice cream truck when I listen to this. Too bad Charlotte Gainsbourg didn't pick this one up when she had the chance as I'm sure I would've much preferred her vocals...

11. So Light Is Her Footfall

11? I ranked this 11th???!!!!???? I know some of you here are absolutely gaga for this song. I think it's more of an indication of a really strong album rather than a weakness in this song. I guess to some extent it just has too much of a "been there, done that" feel for me. I do like it though.

12. African Velvet

It's an o.k. tune and all, just weaker in comparison. There's not one thing I really like about it. The saxophones sound a bit anemic, and we've heard both the guitar and drum parts (or close enough to them) on the last two albums.
donato
Photographair

Re: What is your full LOVE 2 track by track review/best to worst

Postby Dejiko » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:04 am

Nice list there Donato

Here's mine...

1.-Tropical Disease
2.- Heaven's Light
3.- You Can Tell It To Everybody
4.- Eat My Beat
5.- Be A Bee
6.- African Velvet
7.-So Light is Her Football
8.-Missing The Day of Light
9.- Night Hunter
10.-Do The Joy
11.-Sing Sang Sung
12.-Love

Yes! I love African Velvet, it seems not too much persons liked it, but i found it great :), and Love for me is the less superb one

greetings
Who dares to wake me?

Prince from the biomass..
Dejiko
Membair

Postby Aircheologist » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am

I have listened the album from today's morning to now.
It's okay, it is not what I expected, but it was something new nice to hear. It is fantastic in a way I didn't expected. From 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8.5.

1. Tropical Disease
2. Do The Joy
3. Sing Sang Sung
4. Be a Bee
5. Missing The Light Of The Day
6. Night Hunter
7. Heaven's Light
9. Eat My Beat
10. African Velvet
11. So Light Is Her Footfall.
It's whisky, you see. Sometimes it makes you want to kill people. Sometimes to cuddle them. Often both in quick succession.
Aircheologist
Membair

Postby nbktginger » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 pm

I used to say So Light is her footfall, and then I said Tropical Disease... But by now, African Velvet impresses me more and more.... WIll give the ranking after some more time... This is like an ongoing race, will let you know when they will have gone through the final arrival line!
nbktginger
Membair

Postby LeSoleil » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:26 am

1. Tropical Disease
2. Heaven's Light
3. African Velvet
4. Do The Joy
6. Night Hunter
7. So Light Is Her Footfall
9. Eat My Beat
10. Be a Bee
11. Sing Sang Sung
LeSoleil
Newcomair

Postby smoqu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:48 pm

1. Tropical Disease
2. Be a Bee
3. Missing The Light Of The Day
4. Do The Joy
5. African Velvet
6. Heaven's Light
7. Sing Sang Sung
9. Eat My Beat
10. Night Hunter
11. So Light Is Her Footfall
smoqu
Membair

Postby dairniel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Heaven's Light
You Can Tell It To Everybody
Tropical Disease
Eat My Beat
Be A Bee
Love
Do The Joy
Night Hunter
African Velvet
Missing The Light Of The Day
So Light Is Her Footfall
Sing Sang Sung

Heaven's Light is one of the best songs Air have done IMO. I love how the harmony builds towards the end. I'm surprised my top 3 songs are JB sung songs. I didn't expect that to be the case at all.

I love You Can Tell It To Everybody because the start reminds me of Zelda on the SNES, and the chorus sounds very Beatles-like.

I really like Tropical Disease but I can imagine it being used as a TV commercial and become really annoying like Alpha Beta Gaga.

Do you think Eat My Beat sounds a bit like Mer De Japon? And African Velvet sounds a bit like Space Maker? I do.

All in all, much better than Pocket Symphony
dairniel
Membair

Postby nbktginger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm

OK.... Then if everybody pushes... let me give as well my current track by track ranking of my favourite Air album so far...

1/ Tropical Disease. Wonderful. especially from 5.40 onwards. The end brings you very very far away. No drugs needed anymore. This song could last 5min more...
2/ African Velvet. Also because it is quite unusual Air song in terms of rythmic. I find the bass line perfect and the end very powerful as well from 2.20
3/ So Light is Her Footfall I like the fact it is so catchy. Again, the work on the rythmic is absolutely great. Did you notice the drums variations ? JB singing is not bad in this one. Like the structure of the song and the unusual electric guitar solo as well.
4/ Be a Bee. Because it rocks !!! If I listen the album in the morning, would be my favourite track :) I already said this in an other post, but it could be called "Be a Dog" since the piano notes remain me the Stooges "I wanna be your dog". Like it much at 2.30.
5/ Night Hunter . Because it is experimental and I would like Air to go a bit more in that direction to surprises us a bit. And also because of the ending and because I love Herbie Hancock music.
6/ Eat My Beat. For the same reasons than Be a Bee.
7/ Heaven's Light. It is a very nice song. I could put it a bit higher in the ranking, but it is quite a "traditional"/expected Air song. Not sure I will not prefer You can tell it to Everybody in the long term though.
8/ Do the Joy. It is a very good song, but a ranking is a ranking, right ? When all the class get A+ in an exam and that you have A-, you're still the last one despite of great work.
9/ Love. By the way, this song which seemed to me quite insignifiant in the beginning is growing a bit. The flute part of the melody is quite catchy, you remember it when taking the bus in the morning.
10/ You Can tell it to Everybody. Actually I like this one. Quite much. Very thin and subtle arrangement. Nice to listen to after a hard day at work (so good when taking the bus in the evening).
11/ SIng Sang Sung. A little bit too much "Teletubbies" for me, but it is OK.
12/Missing the LIght of the day. For me it is probably the less interesting one, and quite repetitive, even it is quite OK. I would say it is like "Napalm Love" in terms of rythmic, but I prefer Napalm Love. Remaining japanese influence from Pocket Symphony. Could have been there rather than in Love 2. I think it does not fit with the rest of the album (also cause of the drums and the bass not aligned). The arpeggiator is interesting at 1'58.
nbktginger
Membair

Postby donato » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:57 pm

updated rankings...

1. tropical disease
2. be a bee
3. night hunter
4. do the joy
5. you can tell it to everybody
6. missing the light of day
7. eat my beat
8. love
9. danger zone
10. heaven's light
11. au fond du reve dore
12. sing sang sung
13. so light is her footfall
14. african velvet
15. the dream of yi
donato
Photographair

Postby Dirty Thib » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:46 pm

As of today, I will rank the album like this

1 Missing the Light of the Day
2 African Velvet
3 You Can Tell it to Everybody
4 Eat my Beat
5 Be a Bee
6 Night Hunter
7 Heaven's Light
8 So Light is Her Footfall
9 Tropical Disease
10 Do the Joy
11 Sing Sang Sung
12 Love

Love is the my least favorite, because it's a shame how it's an accelerated La Femme d'Argent!
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby Aircheologist » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:41 am

Aircheologist wrote:I have listened the album from today's morning to now.
It's okay, it is not what I expected, but it was something new nice to hear. It is fantastic in a way I didn't expected. From 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8.5.

1. Tropical Disease
2. Do The Joy
3. Sing Sang Sung
4. Be a Bee
6. Night Hunter
7. Heaven's Light
9. Eat My Beat
10. African Velvet
11. So Light Is Her Footfall.

Fuck, I forgot Love, Love is on last place then!
It's whisky, you see. Sometimes it makes you want to kill people. Sometimes to cuddle them. Often both in quick succession.
Aircheologist
Membair

Postby Berto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am

I feel that now i can make some chart!

1) Bee a bee - it's obsessing me, from dawn til dusk.....
2) Missing The Light Of The Day - it's vocal line it's mesmerizing....
3) Eat my beat - it rocks!
4) You Can Tell It To Everybody - it reminds me some Pocket Symphony tune
5) Sing Sang Sung - The beginning it's so fantastic.....
6) Tropical Disease - it's not at the nr. 1 only because it's so sad.... but is really a masterpiece
7) Do the joy - A great intro for the album
8 ) Night Hunter - Maybe deserves a better position....
9) Love - The flute line is infecting me....
10) Heaven's Light - A great tune, only too easy to me
11) So Light Is Her Footfall - It's going down in my preferences, but it could be a great hit single
12) African Velvet - It's not my less favorite, but it' my last choice today!

A great album, i like every single track in it, and it wasn't so with the last 2 albums.
Berto
Newcomair

Return to Talk