Discuss the new Air album: "Le Voyage Dans La Lune"

Make some 'Talkie Walkie' about Air

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

Re: New Air album soon: "Le Voyage Dans La Lune"

Postby okseeyou » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 pm

the album rules. the film is great. nice to own both in one package. very happy for the guys.
okseeyou
Newcomair

Re: Discuss the new Air album: "Le Voyage Dans La Lune"

Postby dwible » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 am

is it me or is there at least one song in the film that is not on the album??? i don't get it. why couldn't they add that song to make the album a bit longer??
dwible
Newcomair

Postby Antoine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 am

dwible wrote:is it me or is there at least one song in the film that is not on the album??? i don't get it. why couldn't they add that song to make the album a bit longer??

Absolutely. I could spot only one song. At the beginning of the film. When they are making the rocket shell. People are knocking with hammers on an anvil.
The song is great but does not appear on the soundtrack.
My favouritre tracks are: Moon Fever, Parade, Sonic Armada (I love the synths at the end of the track) and Décollage.
I'm not so keen on Who am I now? (how the hell did they dare recording this?) and Lava.

Another thing. Le Voyage dans la Lune belongs to the French heritage. There is too much "Englishness" in this album and not enough French (I mean French culture/language).
It feels like it's an American/English project. A real shame. I wonder what Méliès would have thought.
Antoine
Electronic Pet Shop Boy

Postby iotronica » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Antoine wrote:
Another thing. Le Voyage dans la Lune belongs to the French heritage. There is too much "Englishness" in this album and not enough French (I mean French culture/language).
It feels like it's an American/English project. A real shame. I wonder what Méliès would have thought.

The soundtrack for the film itself is instrumental, so I feel Melies would have been happy with that. AIR have been inspired by the project and have expanded on the theme with extra tracks for the album release, which have lyrics in English. Whilst AIR come from France, they don't feel the need to instill their Frenchness into their music. They are an international band. :wink:
iotronica
Stalkair

Postby iotronica » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm

This news just in from Astralwerks...

"The Georges Méliès classic film "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" featuring AIR's original score has a theatrical release starting tomorrow at select theatres around the USA including Film Society of Lincoln Center in NYC. The film will be shown along with "The Extraordinary Voyage", a fascinating 1-hour documentary about the film's restoration. Details at: www.astralwerks.com/air

AIR's new album, also titled "Le Voyage Dans La Lune" is out now. Download at: http://bit.ly/zqRGWH"
iotronica
Stalkair

Postby iotronica » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:09 am

Here's an interview with Nico and JB in "Spinner" http://www.spinner.com/2012/02/09/air-v ... s-la-lune/
iotronica
Stalkair

Postby Helium Dreams » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 am

Dang! It seems they won't be touring after all. I remember someone else on here mentioning a few weeks back that they had read something regarding whether or not they'd be touring after "Le Voyage ...". It came up again in this most recent interview. Oh well ...

Thanks for sharing, iotronica!
Helium Dreams
Newcomair

Postby Dirty Thib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm

This is an OK record. They obviously lost it though. They know how to write and record an Air song, Sonic Armada and Cosmic Trip being a prime example of this. The sound of the record is wayyyy to close to Love 2's sound, the same drum sound, the same synths. I don't know. I am still really fond of their older stuff, but they've been stranded in a comfort zone for five years now, I think it's time for them to make a brand new beginning or to stop.
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby iotronica » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Here's a video interview with AIR for Band Crush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU23dcik ... e=youtu.be
Short and sweet!
Amanda x
iotronica
Stalkair

Postby donato » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:35 pm

My impressions:

Astronomic Club- nice opening track. nothing mind blowing, but pretty cool.

Seven Stars- solid Air tune. the super fast drums toward the end are a highlight. dig the vocals as well.

Retour Sur Terre- wow. this could've been an amazing song. just...beautiful. sad it's so short, but it's fantastic.

Parade- nice song. goes great with the ending of the film i think. a bit uneven in that some parts are significantly better for me. overall, good though.

Moon Fever- i really like this song. not a lot happens, but it has a good relaxing quality about it.

Sonic Armada- my favorite. i always wanted j.b. to just go completely bonkers on a song, and here he has. it was already whacky when they showed us the youtube preview of the song with the movie that was about half the length or so. when i finally heard the album version i couldn't believe they took it that far. haha. really crazy, but i dig it.

Who Am I now?- as others have said, this song just sucks balls. i read a review before the album came out and the reviewer was praising it. what a moron. anyway, this is the worst song on the album and it's not even close to me.

Decollage- nice song. i think it goes well as a soundtrack piece. maybe not the best for an "album".

Cosmic Trip- i like it, but maybe not as much as some of the posters on here.

Homme Lune/ Lava- I have to count this really as one song. Starts off beautiful, continues beautiful, then goes wonky- not in a terrible way, but as the previous poster mentioned, not a big fan of the banjo here. i think it's a really great song, but pass on the banjo.

Overall, I think it's a good album. Not their strongest, but a solid Air "SIDE PROJECT" album. So we need to treat it that way. It plays well from beginning to end, so I'm not disappointed.
donato
Photographair

Postby electronicperformer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:38 am

There has been a lot of good points made on the forum about this album. I have only been into air for a little over 6 months give or take. But i have fully indulged in their music and purchased all their album. I have enjoyed each and everyone of them and they are closely becoming my favourite band. So I thought I'd give you my review of Le voyage dans la lune since my perspective as a relatively new fan may slightly differ from someone who has been a fan since the start ( I've found a lot of people get turned of the longer they've been a fan).

I'll give a track by track review:

Astronomic Club- A good opener for the album, I enjoy listening to it but it's alway in anticipation for the part that starts at around 2:12. That part just sounds so epic and I think very James bond esk. It's just a shame that the rest of the song dosen't live up to that part. However I do enjoy the song as a whole.

Seven stars- Wow an instant air classic if I ever heard one. Victoria Legrand's voice is so haunhing and fits the song perfectly. The bass in it is super simple yet effective, along side the great drumming and the amazing piano chords used. Possibly my favourite on the album. Arr and that outro, really powerful stuff!

Retour sur terre- I love the tone of the synth in this one. Really powerful song, but like the whole album it's to damn short. Beautiful piece none the less.

Parade- Pretty damn catchy this one. Would get anyone dancing. I enjoy this one a lot.

Moon Fever- A nice piece of music that soothes the mind. I was surpriced to see or rather hear that it wasn't in the film. I always got the feeling of discovery and being in an overworldly place like the moon for example when listening to it.

Sonic Armada- A song that really suites the film. It sounds very alien, espicially the crazy synth. I do think it goes on a bit however. Thats not me having a go at long songs, I love the song 'radian' which is much longer then this. I just feel this song is too long for its own good. None the less it's nice to listen to but soon becomes a bore.

Who am I now- Yep here it is, the worst air song. Why did it have to be the only other one with full vocals. Its such a shame. I quite like the guitar but thats about it. Boring and goes no where pretty much sums it up for me.

Decollage- I love this one, perfect example of film music. Timpanis that build up to an epic piano part. Its short I know but really effective and powerful (I'm gonna use that word often)

Cosmic trip- Bit overrated this one in my opinion. A lot of people praise it and say that it's a highlight, I beg to differ. It's a good song but it lacking for me. Sure it has a great beat to it but whats with the water dripping sounds (not the best describtion I know). The song does pick up later on and actually sounds pretty epic but for me it can't shine a light on some of the others on the album.

Homme lune/ lava- Like the other track by track review, I'm also pairing these songs. Homme lune is way to short but it's good. However lava is truely touching for the first 40 so seconds. I know most people agree that after that it just dosen't fit the song. However I do enjoy the late part, can't see why it couldn't have been it's own song. Still mustn't grumble.

So in my opinion this album is great. It's not my favourite air album, that title belongs to 'talkie walkie'. It's a good album none the less with a few ups and downs but mostly ups. Bit on the short side but that's only a small comprimise to a very powerful and other-worldly album. A solid 8 out of 10.
electronicperformer
Newcomair

Postby nbktginger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 pm

What a good idea to have track by track review. I have been a bit negative on this album, but mostly because it is too short :)

Astronomic Club : I love that song. Such great opening. Very catchy drums. I love both the very dynamic first part as well as the bit underground / more cinema style second part of it. Very good psychedelic synths playing like a electric guitar (or is it really an electric guitar ?). For sure one of my favourite songs on this album.

Seven stars : That s a solid strong song overall, and I love the beginning. Work on drums, piano and bass is remarkable. Vocals fit well. However I am not fully convinced by the end of it - I mean after the counting. I was expecting a more explosive end of it. Maybe I have been listening too many times to last Justice album !

Retour sur terre : That s just so beautiful and so catchy / promising start. My only question is, why didn't they explore a bit more the concept ?

Parade : Quite a good high tempo song. Like the synths arpegiator work at 1.55, very good idea. However I think some pieces of it are a bit too naive, and therefore not fully convinced by this song

Moon Fever : I like much this downtempo song. Just I think it is a bit less emotional and a bit more repetitive than other great downtempo songs that Air had done such as Caramel Prisoner or New star in the sky.

Sonic Armada : I think it is too long. Good idea but not enough variations. That make it a repetitive and almost an annoying song, it is getting into my nerves. My wife cannot hear that one, she gets nervous after 1min :-)

Who am I now : I am one of the guilty guys who liked the fact that song was kind of a bit "dark" and unusual, psychedelic for Air style, with intentional "wrong chords". Ok. Anyway, after some plays, I agree that is definitely not the strongest song of this album. Let's forget it :)

Decollage- It is a very good - bit dark song - such a short but a very nice piece of art. WHat a pity that this work on the piano has to end at some point... So bright.

Cosmic Trip : I think this is one is not to be remembered anyway, and that s probably why I forgot it when doing the track by track review the first time ! Quite repetitive even if there are some good ideas in there. Nothing very good, nothing very bad. It will be in the top ranking of "easy to forget Air tracks..."

Homme lune/ lava : I did not feel so good and so deeply touched by an Air Song for a long time... such a perfect start... until the banjo comes. More than the banjo as such, it is more on about how the song is evolving after that so nice beginning which akes me think it is a pity. The song is not anyhow bad after that, but the beginning would have made me hope for a "masterpiece" song, while I need to live with 50 seconds of it only !
Last edited by nbktginger on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbktginger
Membair

PreviousNext

Return to Talk