Make some 'Talkie Walkie' about Air

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

Greatest Hits Tour 2016

Postby Antoine » Sat May 21, 2016 8:20 am

Cherry Blossom Girl (Parma, Italy, Fri 20.05.2016):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUc09rIW0Uo

La Femme d'Argent (same location as above):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCoCtuZDVgg
weird synth sound near the end (around 5:20)...

Enjoy!
Antoine
Electronic Pet Shop Boy

Re: Greatest Hits Tour 2016

Postby Dirty Thib » Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 am

You'll find the setlists here :

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=air&artist=23d68843

No surprises: they are playing a greatest hits, that's for sure!
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby elporteo » Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 am

reading the track list ( 14 tracks all up ) i still have the impression that all Air's concert are way too short.
for anyone that attended to the Italian gig: How long did they play for ?

cheers
elporteo
airddicted

Postby Dirty Thib » Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 am

Theirs shows have always been quite short. Something between 1h-1h15. During the 10 000 Hz Legend, some gigs went up to one hour and a half, but since 2004 yeah, they played one hour at festivals and 1h15-1h20 at regular gigs. They are conscious about it, they always claimed they prefer a short but intense show as a long one with dull moments.
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby elporteo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:48 am

tks mate

i know that..i saw them live plenty of times
the fact is that for a " Greatest Hits" tour i would have expected something more...that's all
elporteo
airddicted

Postby nbktginger » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:04 am

thanks for the links, Nicolas Godin is smoother than ever on the bass guitar on la Femme d'argent...
nbktginger
Membair

Postby Dirty Thib » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:31 pm

I was at their show in Paris last Sunday. A very special show for me, the 14th Air gig, but it felt like a first time following what happened last November in Paris.

Let's be honest: it was a very frustrating show. It was great to see them in open air (no pun intended), the first time I've seen a proper open air Air gig without counting the 2007 Versailles rainy catastrophe. The weather was lovely, but most of the gig was in broad daylight, in front of a rudy crowd, so it was definitely not as magical as the indoor gigs.

Moreover the setlist was too "poppy". No Talisman, no J'ai dormi sous l'eau. They played an instrumental Playground Love instead of a more relevant Highschool Lover. The drummer was not the best drummer they've worked with. No, that's not true. The drummer was a great musician, but his style didn't fit Air's. How Does It Make You Feel? has been butchered. And I don't understand why they keep on touring with only two extra musicians if it's to play Sexy Boy with electric guitar samples, that was kind of lame.

BUT. Don't Be Light was great. And La femme d'argent was REALLY great, like one of their best versions yet. The lightshow was perfect (the night came), they played it louder and louder, and as nbktginger said, Nicolas was great on bass.
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby airlad » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:38 pm

I know it's a rather pesemistic view to take, but maybe the reason they don't tour with more musicians is due to budget? They don't tour or release albums often these days, and I can't imagine either JB or Nicolas make a huge amount from their solo work. Doing a short festival tour with as few musicians as they can manage with will certainly give them both a financial boost.

Regardless of the the reason, I'm still really looking forward to seeing them next month at Bluedot Festival! :D
airlad
Membair

Postby donato » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:50 pm

airlad wrote:I know it's a rather pesemistic view to take, but maybe the reason they don't tour with more musicians is due to budget? They don't tour or release albums often these days, and I can't imagine either JB or Nicolas make a huge amount from their solo work. Doing a short festival tour with as few musicians as they can manage with will certainly give them both a financial boost.

Regardless of the the reason, I'm still really looking forward to seeing them next month at Bluedot Festival! :D

Someone else mentioned that when I complained about them only having themselves and a drummer for the Love 2 tour. I think it's just a cop-out. I can't imagine it being that much more expensive to have one or two more guys on stage. If that is the reason why they don't do it, then they're just being cheap. When they came to Mexico they played an hour at a place that holds 10,000 people, it was sold out, and the average ticket price was $100 US. Obviously they got nowhere near the net profit from that show, but I'm sure it wasn't bad for a day's work.
donato
Photographair

Postby Dirty Thib » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:49 am

I agree with Donato. There are way smaller acts who tour with more musicians. I remember that when they started to tour as a four piece in 2004, they said in interview that they wanted to cut the "rock act" and play more mellow shows, less noisy, something closer to the records' sound. At least they have an additional keyboard player. I will never forget the "Close Up" tour, in 2008, when they were only three on stage, with just a dreamer. At one point during the show, JB had to manipulate a keyboard with strings attached to some of his fingers... I believe that touring with less musicians is a real challenge for Nicolas and JB, as they can't rely anymore on a Jason Falkner to play the band leader or a Justin Meldal-Johnsen to act as the groovy spectacular bassist. But yeah, their show have been lacking "something" for 15 years now. I've learned to deal with this now, but sometimes it hurts when you listen to old bootlegs...
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby airlad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Perfect Air line up?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
airlad
Membair

Return to Talk