band-recommenations

Just talkie...

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

band-recommenations

Postby Fred Froi » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 am

Can anyone give me some good recommendations of bands like Air, with lots of analog vintage keyboards? New or old!
Fred Froi
Newcomair

Postby Dirty Thib » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:08 pm

As always, you may already know them, but Zero7 has a sound close to Air's on their first two albums, Simple Things (2001) and When it Falls (2004).

Bertrand Burgalat's Sssound of Mmmusic (2000) is full of synths.

Though Air keep saying they hate Pink Floyd and never listenned to them, Meddle (1971) or some stuff on Dark Side of the Moon (1973) can remind you of some bits of Virgin Suicides.

If you loved the last Air's album, I recommend you Virginia Astley's From Gardens where we feel secure (1983). It's a beautiful record, full of piano, and stuff. Then, you'll be ready to listen to the French musician Colleen, especialy her second LP, The Golden Morning Breaks (2005) and her new one, the wonderful Les Ondes silencieuses (2007). Once you'll get used to Colleen, you can try the classic of "ambient" music, Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports (1978). Some people find it boring. I really like the way the synths sound on it.

Not ful of analog vintage keyboards, but great stuff too : from Jean-Claude Vannier, L'enfant assassin des mouches (1972). An Air fan may love this kind of studd.

For the moment, I can't think of anything else.
F
How does it...

Am7
...make you...

Dm
...feel ?
Dirty Thib
Music & Girls Lover

Postby Fred Froi » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks! I'll check'em out. I've only heard the Pink Floyd albums and yes, they do remind me of Air.
Fred Froi
Newcomair

Postby Kjetil » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 am

Check out "Melody A.M." from the norsk band Röyksopp. Fantastisk!
Kjetil
Membair

Postby 10 hz bum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:26 am

i'm glad someone else recognises the parralels of floyd and virgin suicides. I tried to play virgin suicides to a work mate, who's a big floyd fan but he couldn't relate. I told him it'll grow on you but to his dismisel of it through one play he'll miss out on the magic
10 hz bum
Newcomair

JUSTICE

Postby Sootandsmoke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Check out JUSTICE!

They're not exactly like AIR or anything but they are a great! If you like air, which you do... that means you like great music and i don't think you'll be disapointed

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2kOa5IlqFE
Sootandsmoke
Newcomair

Postby nineteen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Has anyone ever heard the song Sheep? I know Air has. If they haven't, then Portishead never listened to Welcome to the Machine before writing Machine Gun.

There are plenty of Air/Pink Floyd similarities, and I'm willing to bet that Pink Floyd wasn't listening to Air.

It sucks though, when your influences are pinpointed. It makes you want to say you hate them, or that you've never listened to them.
we are not
who we are
in the mirror
when we're in the dark
nineteen
Membair

Postby Aurel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm

SHED is a very good electro band from North of France.
You can meet Marc on the french forum or on myspace.
Very good music like Air and work with Angela Mc Cluskey & Au Revoir Simone.

Just listen....thx
Fan de Air et des Mauvaises Langues.
The sun is near me...
Aurel
Newcomair

Return to Off topic