Adrian Younge

Just talkie...

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

Adrian Younge

Postby gnoe » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 pm

A couple of years ago I heard a song from Adrian Younge.. I know he did the soundtrack of a movie called 'Venice Dawn'. The music is very similar to the soundtrack of 'The Virgin Suicides'. You can listen to the songs here:

Adrian Younge - Laura's Dream (Acoustic)
Adrian Younge - Laura's Dream
Adrian Younge - Psychotic

Quality sucks and it's a slow server so you have to be patient (I'm sorry for that). I haven't found a topic about this guy, but does someone know more 'bout him?
gnoe
King Sighair

Postby waiu » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:41 am

I have heared of Venice Dawn before. Years ago he promoted his album by claiming to create a very close sound to air. He spread his stuff in different Air Forums. He is from around L.A. i guess and i remember that his artworks were really nice, too.

Unfortunately i can´t find his page anymore. (http://www.venicedawn.com is down)
waiu
admin

Postby donato » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:24 am

Interesting to see this thread. I was a bit of a fan of that CD. I still have like 5 copies of it (he sent me a box of freebies). I interviewed him for a small magazine in New Orleans. It turns out, it is an imaginary soundtrack. He got the photo's from a thrift store. The CD I found to be very interesting, some others thought it too amateurish and /or too similar to Morricone or others of the time period (60s/70s italian horror/suspense). He was a huge fan of The Virgin Suicides so that was the inspiration. He was in law school at the time and wanted to make music full time eventually. However, last I heard he never could get a record deal (all those copies for sale he produced). I wish he wouldn't have become discouraged as I really enjoyed his stuff and it showed a lot of promise.
donato
Photographair

Re: Adrian Younge

Postby gotbeats » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:19 am

gotbeats
Newcomair

Postby donato » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:59 pm

gotbeats wrote:I thought you guys may be interested in this:

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/free-tracks/adrian-younge-presents-venice-dawn

Enjoy!

awesome news. thanks. very interesting. a friend of mine saw his blaxploitation group at SXSW and said it was very good. here's a link to a video of that stuff. you can hear a venice dawn tune at the end credits too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHgvCQU6G8
donato
Photographair

Postby gnoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Nice to rediscover this, feels like a time machine hearing that music again.
Never heard 'One Kiss Goodbye' before, for the first time I hear the Morricone link.
The re-release misses a couple of songs so it seems:

Ceremony of the red curtain
Death Venice
Eyes of Emptiness
The acoustic & demo versions of Laura's Dream

I never owned this record, I couldn't find it anywhere, been looking for it for years!
All I had was this compilation of Adrian Young songs, bad quality rips and downloads.

Donato, is this the cover of the original cd you're referring to?
gnoe
King Sighair

Postby donato » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm

That's it. The original. There's also a bunch of pictures inside. He told me for the art what he did was go to thrift stores in Los Angeles and just buy the old photos in the boxes and put them together. You should've told me awhile ago as I had extra copies. Over the years though they've been lost i the shuffle. I still have one left here in Mexico and maybe one back in Louisiana. Also the track listing isn't complete on the back because he added a couple songs after the printing for them was done. I found out about it by searching for rare AIR on ebay and it was cross-listed. Quite a nice find!
donato
Photographair

Postby gotbeats » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Wax Poetics will be releasing the full Venice Dawn album digitally later this year, so keep an eye out for that as well.

The EP release was limited to five tracks, but the digital release will contain all tracks from the original CD.

Thanks!
gotbeats
Newcomair

Postby waiu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:18 am

The EP is awesome - thanks! Please keep us updated about the album, which will be an instant buy!
waiu
admin

Postby alan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm

wicked mannn; i like that!
alan
Newcomair

Postby donato » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 pm

donato
Photographair