What is the "french touch"?

Just talkie...

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

What is the "french touch"?

Postby fv » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:51 am

Along with Daft Punk, Alan Braxe, Cassius and others, Air are often credited as "french touch" artists, but I never got to find an exact definition for this term... how would you define it? :?:
...Où sont tes héros aux corps d'athlètes
Où sont tes idoles mal rasées, bien habillées...
fv
Membair

Postby Antoine » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:19 pm

"French Touch" was actually the term given to the French house scene that emerged around 1995-1996. I think it came from English music journalists who found the term appropriate. Its imperial phase began in 1995 and "ended" around 2001. The first French Touch record was Pansoul by Motorbass in 1995. Other artists include: Daft Punk, Cassius, Dimitri From Paris, The Micronauts, Modjo, Stardust, Etienne de Crécy, Superfunk Lovers, Bang Bang,...

Of course Air was also credited as French Touch artists just because they also released records during that era. IMO it's never been the case. They've never been into house/techno music even if they know a lot of these artists.

If you can read French, I recommend you read Stéphane Jourdain's bok called... French Touch. Very interesting.
Antoine
Electronic Pet Shop Boy

Postby fv » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks a lot! ;)

So, is "french touch" just a "chronological" label? Or is there anything in terms of style (within the house genre) which these artists have in common?
...Où sont tes héros aux corps d'athlètes
Où sont tes idoles mal rasées, bien habillées...
fv
Membair

Postby apollo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:18 pm

Antoine seems to know a lot about it. 8)

I remember that time, it was a very special time. Motorbass and shortly after that, cassius, set the mark. It's difficult to put your finger on the style. The name actually gives away the key: it's touched by frenchies. Retro and kitsch sounds, lot's of samples, easy going melody. In a way air were part of it, but they did not have the house background like antoine stated. It indeed went downhill after 2001: "discovery" (not bad, but not french touch), "super discount 2" (ouch, that hurted), ...
apollo
Synthesizair

Return to Off topic