the influence of air...

Just talkie...

Moderator: Moon Safari Guides

the influence of air...

Postby scratch » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:41 pm

i'm friends with a dub-influenced band from brighton (UK) who did an alternative version of one of their tunes by using a bassline from the moon safari album. anyone know what the copyright issues are on this - who do you have to ask permission? its not for commercial use, no money is being made. but i know the law is complicated. but so is contacting air?

anyways, have a listen if you fancy, its a bit rough, but interesting:

tune with air bassline.
scratch
Newcomair

Postby apollo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:00 pm

1. if you "steal" something don't go spreading it all over internet, bad idea. Especially on a forum dedicated to that group's music.

2. I don't hear any close resemblance to a moon safari bassline. Maybe its the same sound (difficult to hear because of the digital? clipping + there is someone playing piano on the background), but that's not a problem.

3. It doesn't matter if you use something in a commercial way or not, copying is copying, it's always a violation of copyright laws.

4. If you want to use a bassline from other music, you should ask permission to the person who holds the rights. In case of air, that would be J.B. and Nicolas. I would say it is going to be very expensive buying a bassline from them.

I have a degree in this stuff.
apollo
Synthesizair

Postby donato » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:31 pm

Seems a little more has been ripped off than just the bassline! SHAMELESS!!!!! :shock:

Kinda liked it though!
donato
Photographair

Postby donato » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:32 pm

Pretty much a straight La Femme d'Argent jam-band cover methinks.
donato
Photographair

Postby scratch » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:29 pm

but how do you get hold of famous people to ask them? that is the difficulty... still my favourite album, moon safari... incredible...
scratch
Newcomair

Postby apollo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:50 pm

scratch wrote:but how do you get hold of famous people to ask them? that is the difficulty... still my favourite album, moon safari... incredible...

Try contacting recordmakers.

But I listened to the track in peace now. The bassline will never be considered as an infringement of copyright law. And even if it would be, because it is non commercial, no-one will make any kind of efforts to get this in to court (thanks to waiu for pointing at that).

So I say, let it be.
apollo
Synthesizair

Postby waiu » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:08 am

Well, im into this dub thing but i don´t feel very comfortable with this rock-thing involved.

Regarding the copyright: Ask them, they´ll know.
waiu
admin

Postby Airtonia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:41 am

I can hear a huge influence of La Femme d'Argent indeed, but I can't hear no exact copying of the track, so i guess you wouldn't need a permission from Air. It kinda reminds me on those commercials where original tunes are a bit variated, like "surfing on the rocket" on davidoff perfume commercial... :)
But I like your stuff anyway, it's very nice.
AiR
Airtonia
La femme d'argent

Postby donato » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:41 am

I disagree...I wouldn't really worry about it, but in the off-chance it became a hit I think you would lose in court. I don't feel there is enough of a difference for it to NOT be considered a copy.
donato
Photographair

Postby scratch » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:31 am

thanks for the info. you guys are really friendly. copyright is a funny old thing. anyways, thanks again for the info. peace.
scratch
Newcomair

Postby nbktginger » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 pm

Maybe effectively in a court you won't lose...
But it's not a problem : it's just an ethical music issue.
I mean... if you play it, and say to your audience that it is a cover of Air, not having some money on that, there is no problem.
But if you hide the origin of this song, trying to appropriate yourself without mentioning Air... it s just unethical and goes in the contrary to the musical spirit and to the respect of the artist I believe.
nbktginger
Membair

Postby chris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:05 am

this track is very nice, thanks for posting:!:

ääähm. For me it doesn't feel like a copy, but good ol' copyright...
But better have a look at Recordmakers (and good luck)
I do eat my beat. . . ABC851
chris
Moon Safari Guide

Return to Off topic